National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR). The National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR) is a government semi-autonomous agency mandated to produce official statistics to support evidence-based decision-making and planning processes in Rwanda, but also a coordination agency of the National Statistical System.
NISR has been the leading National Statistics Office (NSO) in the region to produce relevant, accurate, timely and accessible statistical information with high quality standards and methods as shown by the Statistical Capacity Indicators (SCI)of the World Bank, which shows that NISR is ranked second ( with overall score of 78.9% in 2014) in Sub-Saharan African after Mauritius.
NISR acknowledges the importance of research and training in data sciences for producing world-leading experts that are capable of processing and utilizing data that is of interest to the Government of Rwanda and its people.
The scope and nature of support NISR provides to ACE-DS
- NISR participation as a key partner in the overall governance and operating practices for the ACE-DS;
- NISR collaboration in research projects through identification of topics that can add value to policy formulation and availing surveys and censuses datasets;
- Leverage NISR relationships nationally within Rwanda, the region, and internationally to secure research funding, research projects of benefit to Rwanda and the Region to support visions, priorities, and plans such as AU Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa 2024 (STISA-2024), Agenda 2063, and so on.
- Providing orientation for data production that will lead to policy positions; and
- Providing hands-on practical skills related data production, data management, and use of official statistics for decision-making and policy formulation at the training centre being constructed.